Category : Uncategorized
In December 2017 the Friends of the 261 purchased two dome cars from Canadian National. The cars are former Western Pacific California Zephyr dome coach Silver Palace and former Union Pacific dome coach observation No. 9001. The cars were last used on Canadian National’s Algoma Central Railway Agawa Canyon Tour Train. CN gained ownership of the cars when it acquired Wisconsin Central and subsidiary Algoma Central in 2001.
The Algoma Central car was one of 15 dome blunt-end observation cars ordered by Union Pacific from American Car & Foundry. UP received the car in February 1955 and assigned it to the City of Los Angeles. It was sold to Auto-Train in 1972 and renumbered 901. In late 1981, it was sold to a dealer, then in 1982 was sold to the Green Bay & Western Railroad for use as a business car. WC acquired the GB&W in 1993, and in 1997 the car was moved to Algoma Central.
UP 9001 underwent an extensive overhaul, from new electrical panels to new walls. New laminate floors were installed, as were new dome windows and booth seating for 32 passengers in the dome. Many items were found throughout the car during the renovation, including long hidden railing lights for the steps that lead up to the dome. The old diesel boiler was removed and replace with electric heating, and many electrical outlets were installed throughout the car. Lighting was carefully and meticulously cleaned and the majority of the lights were changed to LED.
The UP 9001 was purchased by the Adirondack Scenic Railroad and is now listed as ADIX #9001.